We liked this piece in Training Journal about developing happy employees.
The article lists 9 tips for retaining a motivated, skilled workforce
- Career development should be viewed as a journey, not a ladder. Employees should focus on improving their skills and gaining satisfaction from their work, rather than just climbing the corporate ladder
- Regularly initiate conversations about career development. This helps employees align their personal goals with the organisation's objectives and uncovers new opportunities for growth.
- Encourage employees to adopt a growth mindset. Highlight the benefits of embracing new challenges and expanding their skillset.
- Provide stretch assignments to further professional growth. This shows trust in their abilities and commitment to their development.
- Highlight diverse career development opportunities within the organisation to help employees envision alternative career paths.
- Support work-life balance by offering flexible work arrangements and discouraging overwork.
- Emphasise the importance of continuous learning. Encourage employees to expand their skillset and take advantage of development opportunities.
- Help employees approaching retirement strategise their transition and reflect on their legacy.
- Acknowledge and celebrate achievements to foster a positive work environment and reinforce the idea of growth within a current role.
A happy employee is more motivated, more engaged, more loyal and more productive, what's not to love as an employer?
We love this list but would add a 10th tip, in fact we would make it number one.
Communicate with your employees, find out what matters to them and let them know how they matter to the business.